Monday, August 29, 2011

Seeing Red

Well, I'll admit that it's been far too long since I've blogged. So, today I decide it's time to post the cupcakes I made a whole month ago! I logged on, and was so delighted to see more followers! And Comments! (From people I don't know!!!!) You guys have made my day. I'm so excited that there are folks out there that I can relate to, and hopefully make smile. (Even if you're laughing at me, not with me!) In fact, I think I'll go home and make cupcakes tonight just so I can blog again!

In my last post, I shared with you my Red Velvet defeat.
I am now happy to report that I am victorious.
That's right, I successfully made RED red velvet cuppies!


They were one-half of the cupcake creation I made for a celebration for my Uncle. The end of June marked a very special second anniversary for him, so we had a small party to celebrate! The party had a casual beach theme, so I took that and ran. Red velvet is his favorite flavor, so I knew I couldn't let him down. Presenting: red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, with hand-poured-and-painted chocolate seashells and brown sugar/graham cracker sand on top! I wish I had better pictures of the shells, they turned out pretty remarkable. You'll get the gist.
The cupcakes pictured here (not red!) are pistachio flavored: a box-mix-turned-heavenly creation! (The secret? Club soda.) They added a nice variety for those who aren't red velvet fans. (Yes, they're out there). They're topped with a whipped cream cream cheese frosting, which taught me a valuable lesson: Don't turn your back on whipping cream. Ever. One second it's flat, the next, it's butter. It took me three takes to get it right. But, it was totally worth it!
I had fun putting together a presentation and decorating the board, also! I wish I had more excuses to do things like this. The nautical theme brought me back to my pre-dysautonomia days.. Boy I miss fishing/diving/boating/living.

For those following my health, I've got good news and bad news:
The Good: The pacemaker install went well and the incision is healing like a champ (and no more sling!). I went FIVE WEEKS. Yes, you read that right... five whole weeks without fainting. That's amazing. No, phenomenal. I haven't gone just one week without fainting in almost a year.
The Bad: On the anniversary of five weeks faint-free, I fainted. Murphy's Law at its finest. Three days later, I fainted again.
The Good, Part 2: I haven't fainted since then. In fact, I'm feeling good... better than I have all year. I'm exerting myself and starting to test my boundaries. Admittedly, I'm exhausting myself and using a lot of "spoons" (spoon theory-google it.), but I'm so happy to have some liveliness that I don't even care. Hopefully, when it catches up to me, I'm not taking one step forward and two steps back.

Either way, I'll keep you posted. And, I'll make cupcakes. :)

4 comments:

  1. WOW girl, those are some red red-velvets! It must have felt great to have then turn out the way you'd hoped for. I am working on a non-dairy version, it's a bit daunting but i'm hopeful!

    This is probably dumb, but i wondered if you have a good stool, like a bar stool to sit on when you bake? That is the only way i can do anything in the kitchen, otherwise it's splat on the floor for me. Congrats on the 5 weeks, hopefully your bod will remember that and figure out how to do it again, i know how scary it is. My best doc always said to do HALF as much as i think i can, but i understand the days when we don't care that we use all of our spoons! Hang in there, keep baking and smiling! Like i said before, i'm 20 years in this and still hanging in! :) Oh - and i love the shells!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Amy Lynn, that's not a dumb question at all! I actually use a rolling office chair. Because I use my kitchen counters and an island, I can use the chair to sit and "push" myself off the opposing counter tops without running around with my head cut off and passing out. (I also get to spin around like a kid while waiting for the cupcakes to bake up!) Thank you for the compliments, advice, and for being a follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and good luck on the non-dairy version! Let me know how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete